At the Rio+20 Conference world leaders, government representatives, civil society & other stakeholders will meet to discuss ways to reduce global poverty & protect our environment. The European Union will be sending a delegation which will include representatives from the Committee of the Regions (CoR).
At Rio, Europe's cities and regions will argue:
"Our Earth needs all levels of government, including local and regional, to engage for a transition towards responsible and sustainable development"
They will ask: "If not us who and if not now when?"
The European Union's delegation will work as "one team" to:
- seek ambitious targets &an effective road to the global "green &responsible growth"
- ensure commitments are taken worldwide at the level closest to citizens – in towns, cities and regions
- pursue effective global governance of environmental &sustainable development based on the UN Local Agenda 21.
Sustainable Cities: Committee of the Regions and the European Commission's DG Environment to hold event at Rio+20
The CoR invites participants to come and exchange experiences on "Sustainable Cities".
The event "When Cities breathe, People progress: The Future we, Europe's Cities and Sub-national, want" will be an opportunity to discuss:
- its most successful achievements: European Green Capitals and Covenant of Mayors
- the concept of "modern urban fabric" as one key area to:
- drive green growth
- act as incubators for the creation of jobs
- help tackle climate change
- provide a social space ensuring an inclusive society & a decent quality of life
The event will be accompanied by the "Colourful Cities" exhibition.
Where: Pavilion of the European Union, Park of Athletes, Rio de Janeiro
When: 21 June, 5 - 7pm