European Week of Regions and Cities, 7-10 October 2019, Brussels
In June 2019, the CoR launched a new call of expression of interest in taking part in the European Week of Regions and Cities (#EURegionsWeek) running from 7 to 10 October 2019. More than 700 applications were received over three weeks, leading to invitations going out to around 100 young elected politicians from all over Europe. The
programme covered attendance at #EuRegionsWeek key sessions, discussions with high-level Eu politicians, meetings with political groups represented in the European Committee of the Regions and many other networking opportunities.
The five young elected politicians
listed below have been among the speakers of the Opening Session
of the #EURegionsWeek, together with the President of the CoR Karl-Heinz Lambertz, the EU Commissioner Elżbieta Bieńkowska and the Vice-President of the EP Klára Dobrev, contributing to the debate on the future of the EU:
- Ms Miia Eskelinen-Fingerroos, City Councillor, Municipality of Kuopio, Finland.
- Ms Laura Sparavigna, City Councillor, Municipality of Firenze, Italy.
- Mr Vincent Chauvet, Mayor, Municipality of Autun, France;
- Mr Kirsteen Currie, Councillor, The Highland Council, United Kingdom;
- Mr Radosław Swół, City Councillor, Mielec City Council, Poland.
8th European Summit of Regions and Cities, 15-15 March 2019, Bucharest
In March 2019, the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) invited 100 young elected politicians at local and regional level (YEPs) to take part in the
8th European Summit of Regions and Cities and discuss the future of the European Union and how to involve the citizens more effectively in the European project through local and regional authorities.
YEPs took part in several sessions of the programme, in particular:
- Welcoming event for Young Elected Politicians, moderator: Jennifer Baker, Brussels, Belgium;
What young local and regional leaders expect from the EU- Part 1
- What young local and regional leaders expect from the EU - Part 2
- EU Regions and Cities building a sustainable future